Team GPS-Elite engages elementary and middle school girls, ages 8 – 14, in innovative STEM enrichment activities. Team GPS-Elite welcomes girls who love technology, has STEM career inspirations, loves to compete, or girls that wanna have fun!
Team GPS-Elite is designed to introduce girls to science and math in a non-threatening environment, laughing and learning all the way.
Team GPS-Elite meets on the third Saturday of each with goals to transform “chit-chat” into creativity; bullying into friendships; insecurity into confidence, and drama into discovery. Each month brings a different level of innovation. Girls work individually or as a team in Robotics, Gaming, Coding, 3D Printing, Engineering, Digital Photography, Website Design, 3D Printing, and all the IT they can get! Team GPS-Elite guides girls to big winners of local, state, national, and international STEM Competitions.
Team GPS-Elite prepares and provides girls an opportunity to compete in exciting STEM competitions, including the Verizon Innovative App Challenge (win as much as $15,000) and the PBS-WTVI STEM Awards. Expert judging by technology educators and industry representatives inspires the best from participants. Team rewards include monies, gift cards, medals, and/or trophies. However, rewards and rules vary according to the competition. Parents and professionals are welcome to get involved by volunteering, donating, or fundraising. Digital Photography, Website Design, 3D Printing, and all the IT they can get! Team GPS-Elite guides girls to big winners of local, state, national, and international STEM Competitions.
Why Join Team GPS Elite?
Girls, parents, educators, and community leaders support Team GPS to change the direction of the following grueling statistics:
- Over the past 30 years in the United States and Canada, women have vastly increased their proportion of bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in STEM, however, girls continue to lag behind boys in course enrollment and advance placement exam participation, and in specific STEM subjects
- Gains in education have not translated into equality in the workplace. Women still represent approximately one in five faculty members employed in all the STEM fields combined.
- Contributing to the underrepresentation of women in these fields are persistent stereotypes that girls are not good at or aren’t interested in STEM
- Finally, take a little survey of your own. How many women executives do you know? Elected officials? Spiritual Leaders? Engineers? Scientist? Doctors? Chefs? Coaches? Entertainers?
However, research also tells us that:
- Girls outperform boys in math and science all over the world
- Boys More Likely Than Girls to Underperform Academically
- 74 percent of teen girls are interested in STEM subjects and the general field of study.
- 82 percent of girls see themselves as “smart enough to have a career in STEM.”
You should join Team GPS-Elite because:
- Team GPS-Elite provide opportunities to girls that narrow the gap in gender innovation.
- Team GPS-Elite expose girls to University campuses during their middle school years.
- Team GPS-Elite realize and boldly claim their problem-solving and innovative capabilities.
- Team GPS-Elite engage girls in STEM at an early age
- Team GPS-Elite Participate in STEM Competitions that award great prizes
- Team GPS-Elite Learn and play with girls with similar interests
- Team GPS-Elite Meet and work with professional STEM educators
- Team GPS-Elite Develop leadership skills
- Team GPS-Elite Provide opportunities for girls to stock up on awards for admissions to school or community-based clubs, scholarships and achievement programs!
SATURDAYS – 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Tuition includes team gear (jackets, shirts, etc.) project materials, equipment, and software applications used in the lab and in competitions! A portion of the team entry fees and travel cost is also included.